Buttery Grilled Onions
Cooking on the grill is a year-round treat in the South. We use our grill for side dishes, like these onions, in addition to meats. This recipe usually doesn’t require a trip to the grocery store, and you can prepare the onions ahead of time.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Grill: 30 min.
- 6 medium onions, peeled
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 teaspoons sherry, optional
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Carefully remove a 1-in. x 1-in. core from the center of each onion
- (save removed onion for another use). Place each onion on a double
- thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square).
- Combine the butter, bouillon, garlic powder and pepper; spoon into
- onions. Sprinkle with sherry if desired. Fold foil around onions and
- seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Carefully unwrap foil to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle onions with
- Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.