Buttery Almond Crunch
Meet the Cook: This delectable candy is crisp but not as hard as peanut brittle. Some people say it reminds them of the toffee center of a well-known candy bar. Besides cooking, I enjoy gardening, sewing, needlework and family get-togethers. Husband Bob and I have six children, nine grandkids and three great-grandkids.
-Mildred Clothier, Oregon, Illinois
5 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Line an 8-in. square pan with foil; butter the foil with 1/2
- tablespoon butter. Set aside.
- Spread the sides of a heavy saucepan with 1/2 tablespoon butter. Add
- 1/2 cup of butter, sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over
- medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture
- is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in almonds. Quickly pour into
- prepared pan.
- Refrigerate until firm. Invert pan and remove foil. Break candy into
- pieces. Yield: 10 ounces.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 ounces) equals 379 calories, 30 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 214 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.