With cream cheese, cherries and a sweet topping, this recipe turns chocolate chip cookies into something special. Enthuses LeeAnn McCue of West Springfield, Massachusetts, "These are pretty to look at and taste like a combination of cookie and candy. They're a family favorite we enjoy at Christmasand year-round!"
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 drop red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- With a sharp knife, cut cookie dough into eight equal slices. Cut
- each slice into quarters; roll into balls. Place 2 in. apart on
- ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until
- golden brown. Immediately make a deep impression in the center of
- each cookie using the back of a small melon baller or small spoon.
- Cool for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, cream the cream cheese and sugar. Pat cherries
- dry with paper towels. Stir cherries and food coloring if desired
- into creamed mixture. Place a teaspoonful of filling into the center
- of each cookie. In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate
- chips and butter, stirring occasionally. Drizzle over cookies. Store
- in the refrigerator. Yield: 32 cookies.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 225 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 99 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.