Butternut Squash Soup
The golden color, smooth and creamy texture and wonderful taste of this soup is a welcome addition on a chilly fall day. It has a slightly tangy flavor from the cream cheese, and the cinnamon really comes through.Jackie Campbell, Stanhope, New Jersey
14 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Transfer to
- a 5-or 6-quart slow cooker; add squash. Combine the broth, brown
- sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon; pour over squash. Cover and cook
- on low for 6-8 hours or until squash is tender.
- Cool slightly. Discard cinnamon stick. In a blender, process soup in
- batches until smooth. Return all to slow cooker. Whisk in cream
- cheese; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Yield: 14 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 135 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 483 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.