Butternut Squash Casserole
When Mom didn't couldn’t get sweet potatoes in Zimbabwe, she substituted this creamy casserole, adding sweetness and spice to butternut squash. It soon became a family favorite.
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until
- tender. Drain.
- In a small bowl, beat squash until smooth. Add the remaining
- ingredients; beat well. Spoon into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated
- with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or
- until a thermometer inserted near the center reads 160°. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 246 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 5 g protein.