Butternut Squash Bake
For a side dish with harvesttime appeal, you can't go wrong with this savory squash bake. It's creamy, comforting and looks pretty, too, thanks to the rich yellow butternut squash and golden crumb topping.
-Bertha Johnson, Indianapolis, Indiana
6 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup crushed saltines (about 8 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place squash in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until very
- tender. Drain well and place in a large bowl; mash squash.
- In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onion, egg, sugar, salt and
- pepper; add to the squash and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Combine the cracker crumbs,
- cheese and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350°
- for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 245 calories, 18 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 199 mg sodium,