Buttermilk Pound Cake
Now that I've retired from teaching, I have more time to bake. This cake is the one I make most often. It is a truly Southern recipe, and one I think can't be topped - once people taste it, they won't go back to their other recipes.
16-20 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 70 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour
- and baking soda; add alternately with buttermilk and beat well. Stir
- in vanilla.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at
- 325° for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing
- to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if
- desired. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 285 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.