Buttermilk Buckwheat Pancakes
Our home economists created this flapjack recipe that uses buckwheat flour instead of the wheat-based variety. The light and tender pancakes offer a nutty flavor and hearty texture that are guaranteed to get your day of to a bright start.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder,
- baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Whisk the egg,
- buttermilk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot nonstick griddle coated with
- cooking spray. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes; cook until
- second side is golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2 pancakes equals 195 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 667 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.