In Camarillo, California, buttermilk is the key to Bonita Coleman's tender, fluffy biscuits. Your family will devour them fresh from the oven or topped with creamy butter or a favorite jam.
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the
- shortening until crumbly. Stir in the buttermilk just until
- moistened. Knead on a floured surface for 1 minute. Roll out to
- 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a
- greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until
- golden brown. Yield: 10 biscuits.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 157 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.