Buttermilk Biscuit Sausage Pinwheels
These pinwheels are good for breakfast, brunch or a midday snack. I served them at a morning wedding reception and received many compliments. My grown children also like to take them to work for a quick breakfast with coffee.
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups unsifted self-rising flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 pound raw bulk pork sausage, room temperature
- With a pastry blender, cut shortening into flour. Add buttermilk;
- mix. On a lightly floured surface, knead for a few seconds, adding
- additional flour if necessary. Roll out on a lightly floured surface
- into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Spread sausage over dough. Roll up,
- jelly roll-style, starting from the short side Chill. Cut into
- 1/2-in. slices. Place, cut side down, on a lightly greased baking
- sheet. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Yield: about 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 250 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 556 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.