"It's nice to keep this crisp, golden mixture on hand to top pudding or pie filling over ice cream," reports field editor Ellen Benninger of Greenville, Pennsylvania. "I got this handy dessert idea from a neighbor."
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- Vanilla ice cream
- Warmed apple pie filling
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar; cut in butter
- until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add coconut and nuts. Spread
- in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400°
- for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Cool. Store in the refrigerator. Top ice cream with apple pie
- filling; sprinkle with topping. Yield: 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 87 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.