Butter Almond Crunch
I always draw rave reviews for this buttery, melt-in-your-mouth candy. From the coconut bottom layer to the chocolate drizzled on top, it's a winner all year-round.
32 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1-1/2
- teaspoons butter. Spread coconut evenly into prepared pan; set
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring
- to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add remaining
- butter; cook and stir until butter is melted. Continue cooking,
- without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300°
- (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat. Stir in almonds. Pour over
- coconut. Cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over
- candy; cool until firm. Remove from foil and break into pieces.
- Store in airtight containers. Yield: About 1-1/4 pounds.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 101 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 38 mg sodium,