Burger Joint Onion Rings
These onion rings cook to a crisp, golden brown. This is one of those foods you never tire of and a great side dish to so many meals.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./ batch
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Cut onion into 1/4-in. slices; separate into rings. In a shallow
- bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In another shallow
- bowl, whisk egg and milk. Place bread crumbs in a third shallow
- bowl. Coat onion with flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture and
- coat with bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry onion
- rings, a few at a time, for 30 seconds on each side or until golden
- brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 142 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 435 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.