Bulgur Wheat Salad
Fresh seasonings jazz up bulgur in this bright and simple side. Combined with ripe tomatoes and green onions, this scrumptious dish from Millie McDonough of Homeland, California is a winner.
6 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Place bulgur in a large bowl; stir in water. Cover and let stand for
- 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, oil, garlic and salt. Stir
- into bulgur. Add parsley.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, stir
- in the tomatoes and onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 137 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.