Budget Macaroni and Cheese
This is a quick and creamy main dish. I've tried many macaroni and cheese recipes, but this is my favorite.Debbie Carlson, San Diego, California
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour,
- salt and pepper; stir until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from
- the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain macaroni. Add to the cheese mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 412 calories, 20 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 437 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.