Brussels Sprouts with Water Chestnuts
This reliable recipe dates back to the 1970s. A dash of nutmeg adds interest to the fast-to-fix combination of buttery brussel sprouts and crunchy water chestnuts.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper and ground nutmeg
- Remove any loose leaves and trim stem ends of brussels sprouts. Cut
- an "x" in the core end of each with a sharp knife.
- Place sprouts in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1
- in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or
- until crisp-tender.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add the water chestnuts, salt,
- pepper and nutmeg; heat through. Stir in brussels sprouts. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 89 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.