One of the best ways to showcase garden-fresh tomatoes is in this sure-to-please bruschetta. When time allows, you can make the mixture earlier in the day.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 6 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, 1 teaspoon oil, basil, rosemary and
- salt; set aside. Brush bread with remaining oil and sprinkle with
- garlic powder. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 6 in. from
- the heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Using a slotted
- spoon, top bread with tomato mixture. Serve immediately. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 431 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 862 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 12 g protein.