Brown Rice Pilaf
Brown rice, a whole grain, contains all the nutrients and essential parts of the entire grain seed. It adds almost three times as much heart-healthy fiber to this mild-flavored, Test Kitchen side dish as white would. Consider enjoying its slightly nutty flavor often in family recipes.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until
- tender. Add rice and garlic; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until
- rice is lightly browned. Add the water, broth, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or
- until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 181 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 99 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.