Broccoli with Garlic, Bacon & Parmesan
This simple yet sophisticated side dish uses just a few basic ingredients. The way the bold garlic flavor blends with the smoky bacon makes ordinary broccoli irresistible. —Erin Chilcoat, Smithtown, New York
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 8 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 2 bunches broccoli, cut into florets
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings.
- In the same skillet, saute broccoli in drippings and oil just until
- lightly browned. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 2 minutes
- longer. Stir in broth; cook and stir over medium-low heat for 30-35
- minutes or until broccoli is tender and broth is absorbed. Stir in
- bacon; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 367 calories, 34 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 498 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 10 g protein.