Broccoli Sausage Simmer
"I created this meal-in-one dish when trying to use up a large head of broccoli," recalls Lisa Montgomery of Elmira, Ontario. "It's requested at least once a week in our home, which is handy for me since it's easy to prepare and we always have the ingredients."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups cooked spiral pasta
- In a large skillet, saute the sausage, broccoli and onion for 5-6
- minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar. Cover and simmer for 10
- minutes. Add pasta and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 569 calories, 32 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 1,394 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or