Broccoli Rice Casserole
This hearty casserole is my favorite dish to make for a potluck. With the green of the broccoli and the rich cheese sauce, it's pretty to serve, and it makes a tasty side dish for almost any kind of meat.
Margaret Mayes, La Mesa, California
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 jar (8 ounces) process cheese sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 cups cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and broccoli in butter
- for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the cheese sauce,
- soup and milk until smooth.
- Place rice in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Pour cheese mixture
- over rice; do not stir. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30
- minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 187 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 623 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.