Broccoli Cheese Bake
Here’s a handy and versatile side that’s creamy, colorful and bursting with flavor and nutrition. Pair it with almost any entree for a terrific meal.
—Deborah Patrauchuk, Sicamous, British Columbia
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-3/4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Place 1 in. of water and broccoli in a small saucepan; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper
- and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute
- or until thickened. Stir in onion and cheddar cheese until cheese is
- melted. Drain broccoli; stir into cheese sauce.
- Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle
- with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes
- or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 106 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 224 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,