Broccoli Cheddar Spread
In Graysville, Alabama, Beth Parker has contributed this rich creamy spread to family get-togethers for years. "I was able to lighten up the original recipe with out loosing any of the terrific flavor," she says.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups (16 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 envelope vegetable soup mix
- Pita chips or reduced-fat crackers
- Place broccoli and water in a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover
- and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, 1/2 cup cheese and soup
- mix. Gently stir in broccoli.
- Transfer to an ungreased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with
- remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or
- until heated through. Serve with pita chips or crackers. Yield: 3
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup spread (calculated without pita chips) equals 80 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 230 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat.