Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Healthy chunks of broccoli are paired with the tangy taste of cheddar cheese in this hearty soup from Jean Komlos, Plymouth, Michigan. A dash of nutmeg and a splash of sherry add pizzazz to a kitchen classic.
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sherry, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Dash paprika
- In a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Place broccoli in a
- steamer basket over water. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the
- cornstarch, milk and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the butter, sherry if desired, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Reduce heat. Add cheese and broccoli; heat just until cheese is
- melted. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 3 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 203 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 873 mg sodium,