Broccoli Blue Cheese Rice
This colorful veggie side will go nicely with a variety of entrees. And with just a hint of lemon, it's certain to add a fresh touch to any menu. Thanks to our Test Kitchen for an easy but flavorful recipe.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a small saucepan, combine 1-1/3 cups water, rice, lemon peel, salt
- and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18
- minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Place broccoli and remaining water in a small microwave-safe dish.
- Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender;
- drain. Toss with rice. Sprinkle with blue cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 178 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 509 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.