- with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack at
- 325° for 50-60 minutes or until top springs back when touched.
- Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- For topping, grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan. In a heavy
- saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and coffee granules.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook, without stirring, until
- a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. Immediately pour into prepared
- pan. Stretch brittle in pan with two forks; cool. Break into pieces.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar
- and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Unmold cake; cut horizontally into four layers. Place bottom layer on
- a serving plate; top with 1/2 cup whipped cream. Repeat layers
- twice; top with remaining layer. Frost top and sides of cake with
- remaining cream. Sprinkle with brittle. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 465 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 195 mg cholesterol, 368 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.