Brisket with Cranberry Gravy
With just a few minutes of hands-on work, this tender beef brisket simmers into a delectable entree. “The meat and gravy are great for sandwiches and leftovers the next day,” Noelle LaBrecque relates from Round Rock, Texas.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 5-1/2 hours
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds), halved
- 1 can (14 ounces) jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup thawed cranberry juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Place onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with brisket. Combine
- cranberry sauce and juice concentrate; pour over beef. Cover and
- cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket and keep warm. Strain cooking juices, discarding
- onion; skim fat. Place in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into
- the pan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Thinly
- slice brisket across the grain; serve with gravy. Yield: 12
Nutrition Facts: 3 ounces equals 225 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 46 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot