Breakfast Bread Pudding
I first made this breakfast version of bread pudding for our annual Memorial Day breakfast more than 10 years ago. I'm eager to try new recipes each year, but my friends and family love this so much they won't let me make anything else!
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 9 slices bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl combine butter, egg yolks, milk, mustard, salt and
- cayenne pepper. Stir in bread cubes and cheese. In another bowl,
- beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into bread mixture. Pour
- into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Cover and chill for 8 hours
- or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before
- cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.