Bread & Butter Peppers
If your pepper plants are as prolific as mine, this recipe will come in handy. The crunchy mix of sliced peppers gives a kick to salads, side dishes and sandwich toppings. —Starr Milam, Sheldon, WI
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 2-1/2 cups seeded sliced banana peppers (about 7 peppers)
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned or 1 medium green tomato, halved and sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 12 to 15 ice cubes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- In a large bowl, combine the peppers, onion and salt; top with ice.
- Let stand for 2 hours. Rinse and drain well.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, mustard seed and
- celery seed. Bring to a boil; cook and stir just until sugar is
- dissolved. Pour over pepper mixture; cool. Cover tightly and
- refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Store in the refrigerator for up
- to 3 months. Yield: 1 quart.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup equals 32 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.