Braised Beef with Mushrooms
This slow-cooked beef is so tender, it melts in your mouth. The ingredients have time to season the meat, and it's a delicious entree for two.
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 3/4 pound beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash pepper
- In a large saucepan, brown meat in oil in batches. Remove and set
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add wine, stirring to
- loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Return beef to the
- pan. Add the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 361 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 724 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot