My mother brought this old family recipe with her when she moved here from Scotland. My children and husband especially love spreading this fruitful jelly on slices of homemade bread.
-Elaine Soper, Trinity Bay, Newfoundland
96 ServingsPrep: 1-1/4 hours Process: 5 min.
- 2 quarts fresh or frozen blueberries
- 4 cups water
- 12 cups sugar
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- Place blueberries in a Dutch oven and crush slightly. Add water;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, for 45
- minutes. Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth and place
- over a bowl. Place berry mixture in strainer; cover with edges of
- cheesecloth. Let stand for 30 minutes or until liquid measures 6
- Pour juice back into Dutch oven; gradually stir in sugar until it
- dissolves. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add
- pectin; bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring
- Remove from the heat. Skim any foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into
- sterilized hot pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air
- bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a
- boiling-water canner. Yield: 6 pints.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 104 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.