Treat your whole family to this old-fashioned favorite from Liecha Collins of Oneonta, New York. "This dessert is suitable for Sunday dinner and everyday suppers, too" she relates.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 quart fresh or frozen (loose-pack) blackberries
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup milk
- Cream or whipped cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the blackberries, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon
- salt and extract; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5
- minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg,
- remaining sugar and salt. Add milk; stir just until mixed (dough
- will be very thick).
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into six mounds onto simmering blackberry
- mixture. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while
- simmering). Spoon into serving dishes. Serve with cream or whipped
- cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 240 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium,