- for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a
- wire rack to cool completely.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, egg whites, water and cream of
- tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute.
- Continue beating on low speed over low heat until frosting reaches
- 160°, about 9 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add vanilla. Beat on
- high speed until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Frost
- the cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 448 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.