Black-Eyed Pea Salad
To create a more interesting pasta salad, I added pasta to my favorite black-eyed pea salad. The result is different and delicious. Cucumber and green pepper give this picnic side dish a satisfying crunch.
Melinda Ewbank of Fairfield, Ohio
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 6 ounces small shell pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup diced seeded peeled cucumber
- 3/4 cup diced green pepper
- 3/4 cup diced seeded tomato
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- In a large salad bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a jar
- with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, basil,
- chili powder, hot pepper sauce and seasoned salt; shake well.
- Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least
- 2 hours before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 186 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 269 mg sodium,