Black-Eyed Pea Chowder
A close friend passed on this recipe. It's been in her family for years, and now it's a favorite in ours, too (my husband and I have an 11-year-old son). In fact, we've turned having Black-Eyed Pea Chowder into a New Year's tradition at our house
For a large crowds, I've sometimes doubled the recipe. Everyone that I've made it for has enjoyed it. I even have a friend who doesn't like black-eye
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound bacon strips
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef consomme
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble
- and set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings; saute the
- celery, onion and green pepper until tender. Add bacon and remaining
- ingredients; heat through. Yield: 2-1/4 quarts.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 415 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,770 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 26 g protein.