Black Beans with Brown Rice
Your family will never miss the meat in this hearty, colorful and fresh-tasting main dish. Served over brown rice, it makes a healthy, stick-to-the-ribs dinner.
—Sheila Meyer, North Canton, Ohio
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large saucepan, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, vinegar, garlic salt, pepper and
- cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15
- minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Serve
- with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup bean mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 327 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 12 g protein.