Black Bean Soup for Two
I cooked for two people for the first 7 years of my marriage. Today, I'm a stay-at-home mom with a toddler, but I still appreciate small-scale recipes. I like to serve this zesty soup with tortillas topped with melted cheese.Wendy Anderson, Santa Rosa, California
2 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) vegetable or beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir
- in the cumin, oregano and chili powder; saute 2 minutes longer. Add
- the tomato sauce, beans, broth and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir
- in lime juice; simmer 10-15 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Add
- pepper sauce and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium beef broth) equals 314 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,419 mg sodium,