Black Bean Soup
This should be a thick soup, but I often add water if too much liquid has boiled away. It has a nice consistency, and the garnishes add flavor.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound lean pork cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- Optional toppings: thinly sliced radishes, finely shredded cabbage, minced fresh chili peppers and sour cream
- Rinse beans. In a Dutch oven, combine beans and water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beans wrinkle and crack,
- about 1-1/2 hours. Add onion, pork, salt, garlic and oregano.
- Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until beans and pork are
- tender. Stir in tomato paste; heat through. Ladle into soup bowls.
- If desired, top with radishes, cabbage, peppers and sour cream.
- Yield: 2 quarts.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 254 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 628 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 20 g protein.