Black Bean Pasta
"Here is one of my favorite light recipes," says Stephanie Land of Sudbury, Ontario. With zip from cumin and red pepper flakes, the spicy Southwestern dish is a hearty meal-in-one.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a
- large saucepan coated with cooking spray, combine the green pepper,
- onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and red pepper flakes. Cook over
- medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomato sauce and
- black beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5
- minutes or until heated through. Stir in pasta. Sprinkle with
- cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 252 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 567 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.