Black Bean Chili
For a quick satisfying meal, ladle up big bowlfuls of Pat Stanley's vegetarian chili. "Fresh corn bread is a delicious accompaniment," the Canby, Minnesota cook suggests.
7 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onions in oil for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, peppers and garlic; saute for 5-6 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until
- heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (about 1-1/2 cups) equals 253 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 751 mg sodium,