Black Bean Asparagus Salad
Do you like asparagus, but want something beyond plain, steamed asparagus? Try this refreshing new salad idea from Laurie Jackson of Falcon, Colorado. The black beans, red pepper, cilantro and cumin give it a Southwest twist. Laurie likes to serve this salad with chicken or cheese enchiladas, as well as take it to potlucks.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash pepper
- Place 1/2 in. of water in a large saucepan; add asparagus. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a bowl, combine the asparagus, beans, red pepper and onion. In a
- small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, cilantro, garlic, salt, cumin
- and pepper. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 100 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 252 mg sodium,