- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg
- and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a
- floured surface; knead 12 times. Roll into a 12-in. x 10-in.
- Combine the filling ingredients; spread over dough to within 1/2 in.
- of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch
- seam to seal. Cut into 1-in. slices.
- Place cut side down on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for
- 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and
- white pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat;
- stir in cheese until melted. Serve with ham slices. Yield: 12
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 341 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 943 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer