Biscuit Baking Mix
You need just four common pantry staples to put together this versatile mix. I use it in recipes that call for store-bought baking mix. It's the key to the lightly browned biscuits as well as to the chunky dumpling soup in the recipes that follow. —Tami Christman, Soda Springs, Idaho
48 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups shortening
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in
- shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an
- airtight container in a cool dry place or in the freezer for up to 8
- Biscuit Baking Mix may be used to prepare the following recipes:
- Cinnamon-Sugar Scones, Flaky Italian Biscuits and Chicken Dumpling
- Soup. Yield: 12 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup mix equals 159 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.