Best Rosy Rhubarb Salad
During the holidays, I'll at times serve this unusual salad in place of cranberry sauce. It goes well with pork or poultry . Honestly, though, it's good with any everyday meal, too. It's just a little tart, so it rounds out rich food.
I've been cooking ever since I made corn bread to surprise my family when I was 9. My brothers wouldn't eat itbut my parents did!
My husband and I are
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup diced peeled apples
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a medium saucepan, cook and stir rhubarb and sugar over medium-low
- heat until rhubarb is soft and tender. Remove from the heat; add
- gelatin and stir until dissolved. Stir in pineapple and lemon
- juices. Chill until partially set.
- Stir in apples, celery and pecans. Pour into a 4-1/2 cup mold coated
- with cooking spray or glass bowl. Chill several hours or overnight.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 108 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 39 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.