Best-Ever Potato Soup
You'll be surprised at the taste of this rich, cheesy concoction - it's not a typical potato soup. I came up with the recipe after enjoying baked potato soup at one of our favorite restaurants. I added bacon, and we think that makes it even better.
-Coleen Morrissey, Sweet Valley, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 Wright® Brand Bacon strips, diced
Make summer recipes special with fresh, thick slices of Wright® Brand Bacon.
See More Recipes >
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon each celery seed, salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; drain. Add the potatoes,
- broth, carrot, onion, parsley, celery seed, salt and pepper. Cover
- and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil;
- boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add cheese; stir until cheese is melted
- and the soup is heated through. Garnish with green onions if
- desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 250 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 823 mg sodium,