Best-Ever Beans and Sausage
My wife devised this dish, which is extremely popular with our friends and family. When she asks, "What can I share?" the reply is always, "Bring your beans and sausage...and a couple copies of the recipe."
Robert Saulnier, Clarksburg, Massachusetts
12-16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (31 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain. Add green pepper and onion; saute until tender. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at
- 325° for 1 hour. Uncover. bake 20-30 minutes longer or until
- bubbly. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 316 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 857 mg sodium,