Best-Ever Asparagus/Ham Rolls
This is an easy dish to prepare, yet elegant enough for company. I'm always asked for the recipe. I adapted it from one of my mother's recipes. And now, this is one of the few ways I can get our daughters to enjoy asparagus!
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 16 slices sandwich-type ham
- Prepared mustard
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- Cook asparagus to crisp-tender. Spread one side of each ham slice
- with mustard. Roll ham around 2-3 asparagus spears. Layer rolls,
- seam side down, in a 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Blend in flour until
- smooth. Slowly stir in milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and onions
- if desired. Pour over ham rolls. Cover and bake at 350° for 20
- minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 262 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 645 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.