- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar,
- baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square
- baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut corn bread into
- 1/2-in. cubes; set aside.
- Strain broth, discarding giblets. Set broth aside; cool slightly. In
- a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and pecans in butter until
- vegetables are tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the corn
- bread, cubed bread, eggs, seasonings and enough reserved broth to
- reach desired moistness (about 1-1/2 cups). Save remaining broth for
- another use.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 8-10 minutes longer or until
- a thermometer reads 160° and top is lightly browned. Yield: 12
Editor's Note: This recipe makes enough dressing to stuff a 12-pound turkey. If used to stuff poultry, replace the eggs in the dressing with 1/2 cup egg substitute. Bake until a meat thermometer reads 180° for poultry and 165° for dressing.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 434 calories, 30 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 651 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.