- Chocolate curls and fresh raspberries
- Line three 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour
- the pans and paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking
- powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating
- well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or
- until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for
- 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt chips and butter over
- low heat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour
- cream. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add the preserves, sugar and liqueur; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup filling. Top with another cake
- layer and spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with
- another cake layer, 1/2 cup filling and remaining cake layer. Spread
- remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- For drizzle, place chips and butter in a small bowl. In a small
- saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk
- until smooth. Place mixture in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag;
- cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe a lattice design over top
- of cake, allowing some drizzle to drape down the sides. Decorate
- with chocolate curls and raspberries as desired. Refrigerate
- leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
To Make Ahead: Bake and assemble the torte 1 day in advance. Garnish just before serving.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice (calculated without chocolate curls and raspberries) equals 656 calories, 31 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 94 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.