"As a family, we're trying to cut down on the fat in our diets without giving up good taste," says field editor Harriet Stichter of Milford, Indiana. "This crisp cabbage salad, featuring strawberries and cranberries, is a great warm-weather pick-me-up."
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple or cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, apple juice, sugar, salt and
- pepper; add cabbage. Toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for
- at least 8 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally. Just before
- serving, stir in strawberries and cranberries. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 74 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 212 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit.